[SATLUG] Java problem on Ubuntu 8.04 beta

Ryan Stewart rds6235 at gmail.com
Fri Apr 25 07:30:00 CDT 2008

On Thu, Apr 24, 2008 at 11:37 AM, Ernest De Leon <edeleonjr at gmail.com>
wrote:

> If you do a custom Java install via a tarball, you will need to create all
> symlinks manually because it is a non-standard install.  Instead, you
> should
> install from a .deb package or directly from the ubuntu repository (the
> preferred method.)
>
> I'm not sure what symlinks you're talking about. What I downloaded isn't
just a tarball. It does some installation. I see it creating links as it's
extracting. I know that installing via a package manager is the
most-preferred method, but installing from the online repository isn't
exactly an option just now for reasons I gave in my reply to Jeremy. I
considered downloading the Ubuntu packages to install with dpkg, but like I
said, this method of installing Java worked fine for me in one instance.
Actually, I've done it once before, too, on a Centos VM, so make that two
instances. And now that I've installed Ubuntu + Java rather than just
running the LiveCD, it works fine, too.