[SATLUG] Dialup modem on Ubuntu

Ryan Stewart rds6235 at gmail.com
Fri Apr 25 09:54:33 CDT 2008

I'm struggling through trying to get a dialup modem working on Ubuntu. I've
skimmed through a pile of online docs and articles, and now I'm working more
slowly through the Modem-HOWTO from tldp.org:
<http://tldp.org/HOWTO/Modem-HOWTO.html>

My question at this point is a simple one. I suspect that the modem should
already be recognized. Is there some tool I can use to scan known devices to
see if the modem is already there? Or maybe is there something comparable to
the Windows device manager that organizes devices somewhat understandably?