[SATLUG] Dialup modem on Ubuntu

John Pappas j at jvpappas.net
Fri Apr 25 10:50:08 CDT 2008

lsusb (USB Modem) or lspci (Internal PCI) should work.  I assume that
you are not talking about an ISA or serial port modem, as they would
be slightly different.  With the PCI IDs shown by lspci, you can then
determine what driver/kernel module is required.  The complexity of
the modems are similar to WIFI, "soft-modems" have all of their
features implemented in software (Driver/Firmware) whereas hard-modems
do not have the OS do anything other than talk to a serial port.

For additional help, we are going to need the modem vendor/model,
type, and the results from the above commands.  We can then determine
whether it is a "Winmodem" (aka Soft-Modem) and whether the linuxant
drivers would help in this case.

HTH,
jp