[SATLUG] 10 Linux Commands You Probably Don't Use

Enrique Sanchez Vela esanchezvela at yahoo.com
Fri Apr 25 11:40:39 CDT 2008

--- On Thu, 4/24/08, ed <horned0wl93 at gmail.com> wrote:

> From: ed <horned0wl93 at gmail.com>
> Subject: [SATLUG] 10 Linux Commands You Probably Don't Use
> Date: Thursday, April 24, 2008, 5:14 PM
> Hey folks...
>
> I found this while Stumbling, and thought to share it.
> Anyone have any
> other 'forgotten' commands?
>
> http://www.foogazi.com/2008/03/18/linux-commands-you-probably-dont-use/
>
> Cheers;
> Ed

I use most of them or equivalent commands in AIX's ksh, except watch, never heard of it and, the one to search for a process id of a command.

Also we have a pstree wrapper to keep watching over a particular process, set of processes, we call it pswatch, very very useful.

Our customer's security guidelines force us to use root's umask to 077, which creates a lot of problems when you install software/create directories  because root gets access to all files and directories but not the required users, even after changing the file and group ownership, so I wrote list_path.sh, which lists the  user and group ownership, as well the access bits of any particular file/directory all the way up to root.

What about this one..

/home/xxx] cd A/B/C
/home/xxx/A/B/C] cd B C
/home/xxx/A/C/C
/home/xxx/A/C/C]

not sure if this is a ksh'ism or AIXism but works too. Anyone uses xargs ?? or uses CNTRL-R to search in your command history, AIX has a pretty nice command called "portmir", I love it, the command lets you take control of a particular terminal session on the host, not sure about its heritage but works wonders, specially when a user complains about something not working, that you know works well, and you need to see what the user is doing wrong.

Im sure there are plenty more.

best regards,
esv.

"Intelligence is like an underwear.