[SATLUG] Ubuntu 8.04

John Chalinder argiod at bresnan.net
Sat Apr 26 20:19:38 CDT 2008

On Fri, 25 Apr 2008 09:41:56 -0500
  "David Salisbury" <david.salisbury at momentumweb.com> wrote:
>> Has anyone downloaded and tried Ubuntu 8.04 yet?
>
> Downloaded and installed it yesterday evening, and spent a while tooling
>around in it.  Upgraded from 7.10 and had no problems.  That's the 2nd time
>in a row I've been impressed with the smoothness of their major-version
>upgrades!  The FF3 beta is nice, I hadn't used it yet.  The whole install
>feels rock-solid so far though!

I only had distro 7.04 on a reliable disk, so I installed that and spent the
night upgrading everything (153 files), then updated to 7.10, then updated to
8.04. Everything went smoothly, if somewhat time consuming. Everything seems
to work OK. My only problem now is to figure out how to run a couple programs
I installed, but cannot find on my system. Package installer says they're
there. Programs say they're made for Linux (DEB), but looks like all the
program files are binaries... I like Ubuntu, but it seems to me it has a
longer learning curve than Window$... wish I could get an Ubuntu/Linux guru to
sit down beside me and show me how to do the basic things; like compile a
program from source...

Sure do like the new Hardy Heron wallpaper, though.