[SATLUG] Ubuntu 8.04

Don Crowder donguitar at gmail.com
Sat Apr 26 20:58:05 CDT 2008

Luis Garza wrote:
> Has anyone downloaded and tried Ubuntu 8.04 yet?

I much prefer KDE so I tried Kubuntu 8.04.  I like it ok but PCLinuxOS
runs faster on the same hardware (933 MHz P3 in this instance).  I don't
think it would matter as much on a 1.5 GHz or faster machine but, on the
other hand, PCLinuxOS uses Synaptic, which I like, while Kubuntu uses
Aptitude which I don't especially like.  I find that a little ironic
when you consider that Kubuntu is a part of Debian's "extended family"
while PCLinuxOS is not.  Go figure.  I'll add that Linux Mint seems
awfully nice but is slower still (on the same hardware).