[SATLUG] Ubuntu 8.04

toddwbucy toddwbucy at grandecom.net
Sat Apr 26 22:18:54 CDT 2008

On Sat, 2008-04-26 at 19:19 -0600, John Chalinder wrote:
> I only had distro 7.04 on a reliable disk, so I installed that and spent the
> night upgrading everything (153 files), then updated to 7.10, then updated to
> 8.04. Everything went smoothly, if somewhat time consuming. Everything seems
> to work OK. My only problem now is to figure out how to run a couple programs
> I installed, but cannot find on my system. Package installer says they're
> there. Programs say they're made for Linux (DEB), but looks like all the
> program files are binaries...
I have this problem occasionally.  Usually a search for the program name
will turn up the executable.  Once you have that location you can add it
to the menu through the System-->Preferences-->Main Menu.
>  I like Ubuntu, but it seems to me it has a
> longer learning curve than Window$... wish I could get an Ubuntu/Linux guru to
> sit down beside me and show me how to do the basic things; like compile a
> program from source...

personally I found that Kubuntu was better for transitioning from
windows as its layout is pretty similar to XP.  Although that is
precisely the reason why now I go with Gnome over KDE.