[SATLUG] what startup file to call xmodmap in XFCE

Bruce Dubbs bruce.dubbs at gmail.com
Sun Apr 27 14:40:36 CDT 2008

Chris Lemire wrote:

> Supposing I wanted to call xmodmap whenever X was started, for any
> user (or even for my single mythtv user), where would I call it?
> This includes all those windows managers you mentioned and xfce.
> http://gentoo-wiki.com/HOWTO_Autostart_Programs#Xfce4

I'm not sure how your system is set up.  Are you referring to a user running
startx or xdm?  startx is a script.  If you look there, you may have something like:

sysclientrc=/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/xinit/xinitrc

For me I have in that file:

sysmodmap=/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/xinit/.Xmodmap
if [ -f $sysmodmap ]; then
     xmodmap $sysmodmap
fi

So the global configuration it would go in /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/xinit/.Xmodmap

If you are using a display manager, xdm, kdm, gdm, or similar, you would have to
look at the documentation for the one you want to use.  I'm not that familiar
with ?dm because I never use it.

   -- Bruce