[SATLUG] Logging Into the GUI as Root in Ubuntu

tux792 jjjordan at grandecom.net
Mon Apr 28 08:19:12 CDT 2008

I need to log into Runlevel-5 (GUI) as root and Ubuntu 8.04 will not
allow that (my first experience with Ubuntu).  If I could default to
Runlevel-3 I guess I could startx and get into the GUI that way, but I
can see no way of accomplishing that either.

My problem is that I need to write my Nividia Server Settings
reconfiguration to the X11-config file but the system, as normal, will
not allow me to do that as a non-ROOT user.  I know of no way of
accomplishing this using super-user at the CLI.

Once at runlevel-3, I assume I will be able to set a ROOT password,
although I am not even sure of that with Ubuntu.

Any and all assistance would be greatly appreciated...