[SATLUG] Logging Into the GUI as Root in Ubuntu

phn1x phnx.lists at gmail.com
Mon Apr 28 09:13:09 CDT 2008

with ubuntu you can't sudo untill you've put yourself in /etc/sudoers

You can su and the password should be the same as whatever you put for your
user account.

Ubuntu does not allow you to login to X via the root account by default

- Not for nothing, but a google search of "ubuntu root login" would have
produced results, and the first 3 returns would have given you the answer in
far less time it took you to type your email.

http://www.ubuntux.org/how-to-change-the-root-password-in-ubuntu

----------------------------------

On Mon, Apr 28, 2008 at 8:56 AM, John Ziriax <ziriax at gmail.com> wrote:

> Haven't tried that but the following will give root a password.
>
> >From commandline
>
> Sudo su -
>
> Now your prompt should be a #
> (This is all I've ever used. But to get X programs to run do  but you
> have to allow root to display and set root to display. )
>

> #passwd
>
> And enter a password.
>

> Don't know if that gets you X or not.
>
> John
>

> On 4/28/08, tux792 <jjjordan at grandecom.net> wrote:
> > I need to log into Runlevel-5 (GUI) as root and Ubuntu 8.04 will not
> > allow that (my first experience with Ubuntu).  If I could default to
> > Runlevel-3 I guess I could startx and get into the GUI that way, but I
> > can see no way of accomplishing that either.
> >
> > My problem is that I need to write my Nividia Server Settings
> > reconfiguration to the X11-config file but the system, as normal, will
> > not allow me to do that as a non-ROOT user.  I know of no way of
> > accomplishing this using super-user at the CLI.
> >
> > Once at runlevel-3, I assume I will be able to set a ROOT password,
> > although I am not even sure of that with Ubuntu.
> >
> > Any and all assistance would be greatly appreciated...
> >
> > Regards,
> > Jim
> >
> > --

Phn1x - Emh