[SATLUG] Re: Logging Into the GUI as Root in Ubuntu

JJordan jjjordan at grandecom.net
Mon Apr 28 15:26:05 CDT 2008

Thank you all for your thoughts and replys.  I must have done a poor job of explaining what I needed to accomplish.  I need to be logged-in as ROOT in the GUI.  This is the only way I can SAVE/WRITE-TO the X11-config file.  I must write my Nvidia Server Settings (reconfiguring for dual monitors) to the proper system file.  As USER, I cannot write to this file.  In other distributions, one is able to log-in to the GUI as ROOT or opt to boot to runlevel-3 and bring-up the GUI by running startx at the CLI prompt.  I have set my root password by Sudo-ing in a terminal.

Here is what I need to accomplish: (running Gnome, not KDE)

1.  Boot into runlevel 3 (rather than 5)
2.  logon as ROOT
3.  run startx
4.  Reconfigure Nvidia Server Settings
5.  Save the new configuration to X11-config
6.  Exit runlevel-5 (return to the CLI)
6.  Then return accessabilities to normal operation

Regards,
Jim