[SATLUG] Re: Logging Into the GUI as Root in Ubuntu

pixelnate pixelnate at gmail.com
Mon Apr 28 10:36:31 CDT 2008

On Mon, 2008-04-28 at 15:26 -0500, JJordan wrote:
> Thank you all for your thoughts and replys.  I must have done a poor job of explaining what I needed to accomplish.  I need to be logged-in as ROOT in the GUI.  This is the only way I can SAVE/WRITE-TO the X11-config file.  I must write my Nvidia Server Settings (reconfiguring for dual monitors) to the proper system file.  As USER, I cannot write to this file.  In other distributions, one is able to log-in to the GUI as ROOT or opt to boot to runlevel-3 and bring-up the GUI by running startx at the CLI prompt.  I have set my root password by Sudo-ing in a terminal.
>
> Here is what I need to accomplish: (running Gnome, not KDE)
>
> 1.  Boot into runlevel 3 (rather than 5)
> 2.  logon as ROOT
> 3.  run startx
> 4.  Reconfigure Nvidia Server Settings
> 5.  Save the new configuration to X11-config
> 6.  Exit runlevel-5 (return to the CLI)
> 6.  Then return accessabilities to normal operation

If all you need to do is edit your xorg.conf file, then just type "sudo
gedit etc/X11/xorg.conf". If you need to use the GUI as root then login
as a normal user then hit Alt-F2 and type "gksudo nautilus". That will
give you a nautilus window with root privileges. After you finish
editing your file, hit Ctrl-Alt-Backspace (I think that's right) and it
will restart your X server.

You really don't need to futz with all the runlevel stuff to edit your
xorg.conf.

~Nate