[SATLUG] Re: Logging Into the GUI as Root in Ubuntu

Daniel J. Givens daniel at rugmonster.org
Mon Apr 28 10:44:37 CDT 2008

JJordan wrote:
> Thank you all for your thoughts and replys.  I must have done a poor job of explaining what I needed to accomplish.  I need to be logged-in as ROOT in the GUI.  This is the only way I can SAVE/WRITE-TO the X11-config file.  I must write my Nvidia Server Settings (reconfiguring for dual monitors) to the proper system file.  As USER, I cannot write to this file.  In other distributions, one is able to log-in to the GUI as ROOT or opt to boot to runlevel-3 and bring-up the GUI by running startx at the CLI prompt.  I have set my root password by Sudo-ing in a terminal.
>
> Here is what I need to accomplish: (running Gnome, not KDE)
>
> 1.  Boot into runlevel 3 (rather than 5)
> 2.  logon as ROOT
> 3.  run startx
> 4.  Reconfigure Nvidia Server Settings
> 5.  Save the new configuration to X11-config
> 6.  Exit runlevel-5 (return to the CLI)
> 6.  Then return accessabilities to normal operation

Ubuntu uses Upstart rather than the normal System-V style init. As such,
it's default runlevel is 2. You can stop the X environment however and
start it back up once you're done.

Open a terminal
Run 'sudo /etc/init.d/gdm stop'
X and GDM will stop and you'll be at the console login
Login here
Run the Nvidia installer
Start GDM again with 'sudo /etc/init.d/gdm start'

If all you're doing is installing the Nvidia driver, look into Envy. If
you're running Hardy, you can install it with 'sudo apt-get install
envyng-gtk'. You can then find it under System Tools.

Daniel