[SATLUG] Ubuntu 8.04

ed horned0wl93 at gmail.com
Mon Apr 28 23:48:24 CDT 2008

ed wrote:
> Luis Garza wrote:
>> Has anyone downloaded and tried Ubuntu 8.04 yet?
>> Sincerely,
>> Luis Garza
>> http://luisgarza.com
>> luis at luisgarza.com
> I'm hanging back for the auto-update. Too much on here I'm happy with to
> do a clean install...
> Cheers;
> Ed
Addendum:  I'm staying with Ubuntu 7.10 on my laptop.  After taking my
test system from a clean install of 6.10, and upgrading it all the way
through 8.04, I have mixed emotions about the latest release.  Though it
seems to handle RAM and wired  networking far better (faster) than its
predecessors, it lacks some of the tools I'm comfortable with in prior
releases.  Further, their packing of Firefox 3.0beta is the worst
Firefox I've seen yet, starting with no support for some cherished
functions and themes.  I think they're on the right track, overall, but
I think this release should have been held and tweaked a bit tighter.

Question:  In both my laptop and on my test machine, I lost my task bar
icons in the transition between 7.04 and 7.10.  (System tray icons are
ok...)  So far as I know, I didn't do anything to make that happen.
This has never been successfully explained to me, and I'd like to get
them back.  At the moment, I have color blocks on the task bar to show
me that I have apps open, but only 2 small dots where their icons should
be.  I have to mouse-over them and read the tool-tips see what they are.
Any help with this one would be greatly appreciated.