[SATLUG] find

Bruce Dubbs bruce.dubbs at gmail.com
Tue Apr 29 23:08:44 CDT 2008

Daniel J. Givens wrote:
> Bruce Dubbs wrote:
>> Daniel J. Givens wrote:
>>
>>> You're forgetting the point of the / before the permissions. If you
>>> look in the manpage above the section you referenced for the -perm
>>> option, you'll see what I mean.
>>
>> I don't know where you found the / before the permissions.  It should
>> be a + and I've never seen anything different.
>
> Check your manpage. We're talking about Linux and GNU findutils. These
> have been around for at least the several years since I started using find.

Yes.  I am aware it is GNU findutils.

>  From find(1) on my Fedora 8 and CentOS 5.1 boxes, as well as,
> http://www.linuxcommand.org/man_pages/find1.html

Even on the man page you give, it is a +, not a /.

It may have changed though.  From the ChangeLog:

2005-12-04  James Youngman  <jay at gnu.org>

   * doc/find.texi, find/find.1, find/parser.c, find/pred.c, NEWS:
   Savannah bug #14748 (which this change does NOT fix): issue
   warning of future changes in the behaviour of -perm /000

2007-01-07  James Youngman  <jay at gnu.org>

   * find/parser.c (parse_perm), find/testsuite/find.gnu/perm000.exp,
     find/testsuite/find.gnu/perm000.xo: -perm /000 is now quivalent
     to -perm -000, as dscussed in Savannah bug #14748.  The warning
     message we issue when the user does this now explains that the
     defintion changed as we promised it would in 2005.

It looks like the change was in release findutils-4.2.30.tar.gz  28-Feb-2007

I hadn't updated from 4.2.25.

   -- Bruce