[SATLUG] find

Daniel J. Givens daniel at rugmonster.org
Wed Apr 30 01:42:02 CDT 2008

Bruce Dubbs wrote:
> Daniel J. Givens wrote:
>> Bruce Dubbs wrote:

>>> I don't know where you found the / before the permissions.  It should
>>> be a + and I've never seen anything different.

The whole reason I mentioned /mode was A) the original question had to
do with that form and B) it is the current syntax with regard to the
deprecated +mode syntax.

> Even on the man page you give, it is a +, not a /.

Read was I gave you. It says -perm +mode is deprecated. -perm /mode is
used to match "[a]ny permission bits mode are set for the file."

> It may have changed though.  From the ChangeLog:

<snip>

> It looks like the change was in release findutils-4.2.30.tar.gz
> 28-Feb-2007
>
> I hadn't updated from 4.2.25.

It was originally implemented in 4.2.23 (Jun 2005), but the man page
wasn't updated until 4.2.26. http://savannah.gnu.org/bugs/?14556

NEWS from findutils-4.2.23:

* Major changes in release 4.2.21
** Functional Changes to find

The GNU extension "find ... -perm +MODE" has been withdrawn because it
is incompatible with POSIX in obscure cases like "find ... -perm ++r".
Use the new syntax "find ... -perm /MODE" instead.  Old usages will
still continue to work, so long as they don't conflict with POSIX.

I'm just trying to help someone understand something.