[SATLUG] Re: mobile devices with linux

pixelnate at gmail.com pixelnate at gmail.com
Fri Aug 1 08:49:12 CDT 2008

On Thu, 2008-07-31 at 19:55 -0500, Al Castanoli wrote:
> There was a lot of buzz on engadget a few months ago about Palm
> abandoning the PalmOS in favor of Linux.

Their new OS will be linux-based, but it won't be a linux like you are
used to seeing on other devices like the Nokia nXXX series. Real linux
users will probably be disappointed by how closed the system is. It
should be *much* better than the current OS, but I wouldn't expect to
see access given to the machinery behind the gui outside of an SDK like
they currently have.

They did hire the crew behind the Helio Ocean, so at least the interface
should be nice. ETA January 09.

~Nate