[SATLUG] Whatever happened to the Novelle LDAP Application?

Thomas Cameron thomas.cameron at camerontech.com
Sat Aug 2 11:34:56 CDT 2008

On Thu, 2008-07-31 at 13:16 -0500, Frank Huddleston wrote:
> Greetings,
>
>    Back in 1999-2000, I remember a Novelle rep came to my place of work
> and demonstrated a Novelle LDAP Directory Server application that

DISCLOSURE:  I am a Red Hat employee.  I came to work at Red Hat because
I believe in their mission and am passionate about the technology.

Novell's eDirectory product is OK but very expensive and closed source.
Booooo.

Red Hat's Enterprise Identity, Policy and Audit tool (which contains
LDAP capabilities along with Kerberos and certificate services) is
damned cheap ($7500/server) and is based on actual Open Source
technologies instead of the closed source, vendor lock-in offering from
Novell.

See
http://www.press.redhat.com/2008/06/19/introducing-red-hat-enterprise-ipa-10/ for the commercial variant, and http://freeipa.org/page/Main_Page for the upstream project.

Also see http://directory.fedoraproject.org/ if you just need an LDAP
solution.  Red Hat bought the Netscape server suite from AOL back in
2004, and we've been improving it ever since.  Netscape Directory
Server, which has a long and well proven track record, is now Fedora
Directory Server, which is the community upstream for Red Hat Directory
Server:  http://www.redhat.com/directory_server/

Open Source is the way to go.  Unlike Novell, Red Hat recognizes this.

Thomas