[SATLUG] Re: Question about Fedora 9

K. Reginald Buckner buckmiester35 at gmail.com
Sat Aug 2 15:52:34 CDT 2008

About early May this year I wanted to swap to using Linux exclusively as a
desktop OS. Plus I wanted to learn more about LInux to become a Linux/Unix
Engineer. That being said, I loaded Fedora 7 on a old Dell Optiplex g150
(PIII , 20GB HD). I had been using Windows XP Media Center and Vista for a
while.

I loved Fedora 7. It looked sharp. Booted in about 12 sec from the login
ready 2 go. I had a AMD Turion laptop with 2GB RAM and 160GB HD and it ran
Vista way slower than Fedora 7 on this older desktop. After 2 months I got
an email from the fedora project telling me I needed to upgrade because
Fedora 7 was at end of life. Well I was evaluating Fedora 8 and 9. I tried
to upgrade to Fedora 9 but I wasted time making 10 live CD burns of Fedora 9
and got same problem:

" buffer I/O error on device sr0 sector 1414304"

On a Gateway MT4322 laptop (Athlon 64X2 1GB RAM, 140GB HD), it booted up
away but acted strange once I tried to logoff the system. I could not get
the Dell to boot up at all. Hey I tried downloading different images,
different CDs, checksum, buring the iso slower, nothing worked. I made a
Open Suse 10.3, Ubutnu 7.10, and a Open Solaris Live and each one of them
works great as a Live CD and Loaded on the HD.

Why is Fedora 9 so buggy??

I like Fedora and I would like to help fix it not complain that Fedora
sucks..

Reggie Buckner