[SATLUG] Re: Linux OS and Mobile Devices

K. Reginald Buckner buckmiester35 at gmail.com
Sat Aug 2 16:56:15 CDT 2008

I went back to college to learn more about Hardware and software and I find
that I am way behind people in Europe and Asia.

For example: In Asia people use mobile devices for shopping, online gaming,
messaging, epayment,
surfing, blogging, you name it.  European are way more mobile
computing/communicating than here.

I like what Open Moko, Apple, Nokia, and Google Android is doing but the
hardware and software part of this is not as clear as Desktop computing.
Linux and Open Source can help give average people power in a mobile system
that used to belong to servers and workstations.

Is Ubuntu, Debian, Open/Free BSD or Red Hat going to take US mobile
computing to another level? Are we going to fall behind everyone else in
other parts of the globe?

I like to buy a old pda and retrofit it with linux just to see. How could I
start?