[SATLUG] Re: SATLUG Digest, Vol 55, Issue 1

pixelnate at gmail.com pixelnate at gmail.com
Sat Aug 2 21:13:13 CDT 2008

On Sat, 2008-08-02 at 11:35 -0500, K. Reginald Buckner wrote:
> Netwon was a revolutionary device which
> most of its features showed up in Palm Pilots.

Not to be nitpicky, but the features did not appear at 1:1 scale, so to
speak. The clipboard for the Newton does, to this day, not have an
equal.

When you selected text that you wanted to copy to the clipboard you
simply dragged it to the side of the screen and the first word of the
selection became a file folder-style tab hanging off the side of the
screen. When you wanted to paste it, you simply dragged that tab to
where you wanted the selection and it disappeared form the side of the
screen. It sounds silly to be obsessed about a small detail like that,
but it really makes a big difference when you used the device.

The Newton OS was really revolutionary for its day. If they changed
nothing else about it except to make it color, include wireless-g and
add a headphone jack it would sell a million copies today.

The original Palm Pilot was a poor copy of the Newton. Like Windows v.
the Mac OS, close enough was good enough. They sold better than the
Newton mainly because they were smaller and cheaper and could be found
more easily. They have not done well recently because there are many
devices that serve the close enough is good enough role. I am really
hoping Palm does better with their next OS.

~Nate