[SATLUG] Re: SATLUG Digest, Vol 55, Issue 1

Thomas Cameron thomas.cameron at camerontech.com
Sat Aug 2 21:37:00 CDT 2008

On Sat, 2008-08-02 at 21:13 -0500, pixelnate at gmail.com wrote:
> On Sat, 2008-08-02 at 11:35 -0500, K. Reginald Buckner wrote:
> > Netwon was a revolutionary device which
> > most of its features showed up in Palm Pilots.
>
> Not to be nitpicky, but the features did not appear at 1:1 scale, so to
> speak. The clipboard for the Newton does, to this day, not have an
> equal.
>
> When you selected text that you wanted to copy to the clipboard you
> simply dragged it to the side of the screen and the first word of the
> selection became a file folder-style tab hanging off the side of the
> screen. When you wanted to paste it, you simply dragged that tab to
> where you wanted the selection and it disappeared form the side of the
> screen. It sounds silly to be obsessed about a small detail like that,
> but it really makes a big difference when you used the device.
>
> The Newton OS was really revolutionary for its day. If they changed
> nothing else about it except to make it color, include wireless-g and
> add a headphone jack it would sell a million copies today.
>
> The original Palm Pilot was a poor copy of the Newton. Like Windows v.
> the Mac OS, close enough was good enough. They sold better than the
> Newton mainly because they were smaller and cheaper and could be found
> more easily. They have not done well recently because there are many
> devices that serve the close enough is good enough role. I am really
> hoping Palm does better with their next OS.

As a Treo 650 and now a Treo 755p user, they damned well *better* do
better with their next on.  The Palm OS on the 755p is sloooow and
quirky.  I love the features - I can VPN into my network at work and
check my e-mail over imaps, so that is super cool.  The EVDO speed is
awesome.  General stability is not very good, and if I am doing
something like writing a text message when the phone rings, it tends to
lock up or hang.  I am *not* happy that as a Verizon customer I waited 9
months after Sprint got the 755p to get it, and then it was slower than
the 650.  Google maps for Treo kicks ass, but there is no GPS in the
755p which sucks.

I am *so* itching to get an iPhone now that it groks Cisco VPN.  I don't
give a hoot for the music playing capabilities, but the faux GPS and
mapping and web stuff is pretty awesome.

TC