[SATLUG] Re: SATLUG Digest, Vol 55, Issue 1

Brad Knowles brad at shub-internet.org
Sun Aug 3 01:25:14 CDT 2008

On 8/2/08, Thomas Cameron wrote:

>>  As for early PDAs, The second pocket device I saw first about late 1993  was
>>  Sharp Zaurus with its own OS.
>
>  IIRC the Zaurus used Linux.  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sharp_Zaurus

The later ones did, but I know Sharp had a portable handheld device
with their own proprietary OS that was much earlier, more like a
glorified addressbook/calculator, in the 1980s.  And I think they may
have used the same name.

In fact, IIRC, they intentionally chose to re-use the Zaurus name
with the Linux hand-held as an homage to their famous handheld
devices from oh-so-long-ago.

I've had a couple of different programmable Casio calculators, one of
which was a graphing model.  It was around that same time that I also
had one of the early Sharp handheld units.