[SATLUG] Re: SATLUG Digest, Vol 55, Issue 1

Brad Knowles brad at shub-internet.org
Sun Aug 3 01:37:49 CDT 2008

On 8/2/08, pixelnate at gmail.com wrote:

>  Well, alrighty then. We have an infant and it's nice having video on the
>  phone for those special moments when they happen.

They'll fix the video problem soon.  There are already some pretty
good video recording programs available through Installer.app, if
you're willing to jailbreak the device.  It shouldn't be too much
longer before they're official available in the App Store.

>>  I dunno - I have coworkers who have iPhones and they type as fast or
>>  faster than I do on my Palm after a very short amount of practice.
>
>  The one on the n800 is pretty good too, but it is no replacement for a
>  real keyboard.

Before the iPhone, I said the same things about all virtual
keyboards.  This one really is different.  It's not for everyone, but
most people who give it a chance and use it for a couple of weeks or
so wind up being just as productive or even more so with the virtual
keyboard than on any physical keyboard.

>  First off, the whole Windows Mobile only thing is just a rumor and is
>  most definitely not true.

Palm is already shipping Windows Mobile pretty much exclusively.
They're actively killing all the old PalmOS stuff.

They've supposedly been working on a Linux-based replacement for
PalmOS, but then they've supposedly been working on that for several
years, and so far as I know no one has ever done anything more than a
few demos.  And Dan Bricklin taught us all how well demos can be done
when there isn't any actual product underneath.

Personally, I honestly do hope they finally ship a Linux-based
replacement for PalmOS, and that it works well.  This is a case where
the industry needs real competition.