[SATLUG] Re: SATLUG Digest, Vol 55, Issue 1

Thomas Cameron thomas.cameron at camerontech.com
Sun Aug 3 13:49:54 CDT 2008

On Sat, 2008-08-02 at 23:05 -0500, pixelnate at gmail.com wrote:
> On Sat, 2008-08-02 at 22:32 -0500, Thomas Cameron wrote:
> > I don't give a rat's ass about the multimedia stuff.  Pix and video and
> > music mean nada to me.
> >

> Well, alrighty then. We have an infant and it's nice having video on the
> phone for those special moments when they happen.

Heh - I have two little ones, and we finally got into the 21st century
last week by buying a real digital video camera.  Didn't mean to sound
like a jerk before - sorry if I did.  I should have been more clear...
If I want video, I get out the video camera.  :-)

> > >  and has
> > > no real keyboard.
> >
> > I dunno - I have coworkers who have iPhones and they type as fast or
> > faster than I do on my Palm after a very short amount of practice.
> >

> The one on the n800 is pretty good too, but it is no replacement for a
> real keyboard.

Absolutely no argument there.  I do notice that my thumbs get wonky
feeling if I do much keyboarding on my Palm.  I suspect that the same
would be true of any tiny keyboard.

> > I've been hearing that for too long.  I've really, really lost faith in
> > Palm.  I also hear rumors that they are abandoning Palm OS and doing
> > Windows Mobile in the future.  I'll do iPod before I do Windows.
>
> First off, the whole Windows Mobile only thing is just a rumor and is
> most definitely not true. While I am also lost faith in Palm, to an
> extent, what I know about the new OS is enough to keep me interested: it
> will be a Linux based system, the interface is being handled by the UI
> crew that defected from Helio. Jeff Hawkins and Co. are aware of the
> stakes in the new PDA-phone game. I don't think they will disappoint.

I can not even begin to tell you how I hope they don't disappoint.  I've
been a Palm fan for ages, just been really disappointed lately.  I want
to believe in them, I really do.

Peace,
Thomas