[SATLUG] Re: SATLUG Digest, Vol 55, Issue 1

Brad Knowles brad at shub-internet.org
Sun Aug 3 14:10:57 CDT 2008

On 8/3/08, Thomas Cameron wrote:

>  Heh - I have two little ones, and we finally got into the 21st century
>  last week by buying a real digital video camera.  Didn't mean to sound
>  like a jerk before - sorry if I did.  I should have been more clear...
>  If I want video, I get out the video camera.  :-)

We've got real digital video cameras, and real digital still cameras.
But the thing is, we don't carry them around 24x7.  I do carry around
my iPhone 24x7, except when I'm asleep and it's recharging.

That means that there are many times when our cats do something cute
and the only handy device is my iPhone, and not one of the better
cameras or video cameras -- a blurry low-resolution picture is better
than nothing.

So, while I agree with you in principal that for taking digital
pictures or digital video that you should use a device made
especially for that role, in practice I find that a lack of a video
camera function on the iPhone is a real limitation.

Fortunately, this is one that should be resolved soon, although it
probably will be from a third party and not Apple.

>  I can not even begin to tell you how I hope they don't disappoint.  I've
>  been a Palm fan for ages, just been really disappointed lately.  I want
>  to believe in them, I really do.

Agreed.