[SATLUG] Bluetooth questions

John Pappas j at jvpappas.net
Mon Aug 4 07:03:55 CDT 2008

On Sun, Aug 3, 2008 at 17:18, Mary Yatti <yatinhat at yahoo.com> wrote:

> I'm getting ready to purchase a new laptop and cell phone for my business.
>  Some laptops are advertised as coming with Bluetooth.  I'm looking for a
> good cheap way to make international calls.  I've read that one can use a
> bluetooth phone with Linux.  I tried searching through the Satlug posts
> without luck on this topic.

If you use your BlueTooth cell for data (AKA "Phone as Modem" or
"Tethering", only via EVDO or EDGE, "dialing up" via cell will only get you
14.4Kbps)  and couple that with a VoIP App (Skype, LinPhone, Twinkle, XTen,
etc) and VoIP Provider (Skype, Vonage, BroadVoice, Packet8, TelIAX,
Vitelity, etc) will get you cheap international.  Course, you don't need a
BT phone to accomplish this, any broadband will do the trick.

If you are using the computer to actually dial the phone (tethering does not
"dial" the phone), then you will get your cell provider's international
rates.

HTH,
jp