[SATLUG] culture question

Todd W. Bucy toddwbucy at grandecom.net
Mon Aug 4 09:34:35 CDT 2008

I am currently writting a paper comaring F/OSS gift economics to that of
the Iroquian Wampum system of the 15th and 16th centuries (also a gift
economy).  I will not go into all the gory details of my argument, as it
largely does not pertain to Linux.  I wrote something that has the ring
of "truthiness" and would like to have the communitites opinion on the
matter.  comment follows:

"...code that is noted as being “elegant” often requires very little in
the way of comments...code which contains to many comments is often
thought of as being 'over-designed'..."

I would like to know if this is generally true within the hacker
community.  I am by no means a hacker and I am very warry of making such
a statement without some confirmation.

Thanks in advance
Todd