[SATLUG] culture question

Thomas Cameron thomas.cameron at camerontech.com
Mon Aug 4 09:53:01 CDT 2008

On Mon, 2008-08-04 at 09:34 -0500, Todd W. Bucy wrote:
> I am currently writting a paper comaring F/OSS gift economics to that of
> the Iroquian Wampum system of the 15th and 16th centuries (also a gift
> economy).  I will not go into all the gory details of my argument, as it
> largely does not pertain to Linux.  I wrote something that has the ring
> of "truthiness" and would like to have the communitites opinion on the
> matter.  comment follows:
>
> "...code that is noted as being “elegant” often requires very little in
> the way of comments...code which contains to many comments is often
> thought of as being 'over-designed'..."
>
> I would like to know if this is generally true within the hacker
> community.  I am by no means a hacker and I am very warry of making such
> a statement without some confirmation.

I don't know that this is an accurate statement.  While I am much more
of a sysadmin type than a coder, every professional programmer with whom
I've worked has always told me to comment my code.  You don't have to go
nuts, just enough to make clear what you're tying to do.

It's not necessarily for others who will see your code, although that's
important...  It's just as much as for yourself so when you have to
change something after a while you can remember what you've done.

Thomas