[SATLUG] culture question

Borries Demeler demeler at biochem.uthscsa.edu
Mon Aug 4 10:20:39 CDT 2008

> I am currently writting a paper comaring F/OSS gift economics to that of
> the Iroquian Wampum system of the 15th and 16th centuries (also a gift
> economy).  I will not go into all the gory details of my argument, as it
> largely does not pertain to Linux.  I wrote something that has the ring
> of "truthiness" and would like to have the communitites opinion on the
> matter.  comment follows:
>
> "...code that is noted as being “elegant” often requires very little in
> the way of comments...code which contains to many comments is often
> thought of as being 'over-designed'..."
>
> I would like to know if this is generally true within the hacker
> community.  I am by no means a hacker and I am very warry of making such
> a statement without some confirmation.
>
> Thanks in advance
> Todd

I feel it is very good practice to comment code. I do it especially when
the algorithm is complicated to explain to the reader (or myself later on)
the ideas behind the algorithm so it is easier to understand. Commenting
code saves time for the reader, and it is not at all related to whether the
code is elegant or over-designed (whatever that is supposed to mean). Even
very well written code can benefit from clear commenting. In my opinion this
statement is not useful.

Regards, -b.