[SATLUG] tamu.edu

Brad Knowles brad at shub-internet.org
Mon Aug 4 12:40:11 CDT 2008

Geoff wrote:

> Jeremy Mann wrote:
>> Geoff, we sync our NTP server here on campus against the UH time
>> server. This has worked for years. Try this one:
>>
>> tick.uh.edu
>
> :> ntpdate tick.uh.edu
>  4 Aug 10:49:58 ntpdate[900]: no server suitable for synchronization found

According to the page at
<http://support.ntp.org/bin/view/Servers/StratumOneTimeServers>, that is a
Restricted Stratum One time server.

According to the official "Rules of Engagement" (see
<http://support.ntp.org/bin/view/Servers/RulesOfEngagement>), you should not
be using it without the express permission of the owner/operator of that
system, and you should not be using it at all if you're just synchronizing
one machine -- you should only be using it to synchronize one or more time
servers on your network that then redistribute that time to other internal
clients.