[SATLUG] culture question

Al Castanoli afcasta at satx.rr.com
Mon Aug 4 20:56:19 CDT 2008

On Mon, 2008-08-04 at 19:42 -0500, Storey Clamp wrote:
> I always commented more than I personally required to benefit those
> following.

> Those who refuse to comment their code are implying "If you are not as
> brilliant as I, then you do not deserve to understand it!"

As someone who's had to unknot herds of spaghetti code over the years, I
always figured those who refused to comment their code were merely
proclaiming, "If this cruft was this hard to get to compile, then it
should be hard to unobfuscate as well."

I've bitten myself before by not commenting well enough to understand
later on, and don't look forward to any more self inflicted pain like
that.  If I'm not commenting my stuff for posterity, at least I need to
comment it for myself, so I can understand it well enough to reuse
later.  Commenting code is easy - it was flowcharting my proggies that
used to drive me ape.

Al Castanoli