[SATLUG] Live CD Solution/Open Source/Freeware

Daniel J. Givens daniel at rugmonster.org
Tue Aug 5 19:48:44 CDT 2008

On Mon, 4 Aug 2008 07:44:26 -0700 (PDT)
Don Jones <n5wsw at yahoo.com> wrote:

> Good day, Gents & Ladies,
>
> Nice to be back on the list missed a lot of you.
>
> Hello to those that were in all my classes at SAC... I am now at
> Texas State University, for a while.
>
> A small question for the group:
>
> Looking for a solution to stop a CD from running on a lock down stand
> along workstation or one in use.
>
> Looking for Open Source or freeware if available.
>
> Basically need to necessitate a radical secure box to be left in an
> open environment.
>
> Any suggestion or appreciated.
>
> Don Jones, N5WSW
> A Student of Life!
>
> PS. for any OS, if anyone heard of something or know anyone I can
> collaborate with.

Disconnect the interface cable?

Seriously, if it's running a *nix of some sort, you could disable the
right to access and mount the drive. This is most commonly done by
removing the users from the cdrom or disk group. If the system uses
udev, then you can look at the permissions and group set for the device
in /etc/udev.d/. All of this is going to be very specific to the
OS/distro you're using.

The most sure fire solution is to disable the optical drive by
physically disconnecting it and USB ports via the a password protected
BIOS.