[SATLUG] Live CD Solution/Open Source/Freeware

Don Jones n5wsw at yahoo.com
Wed Aug 6 09:05:08 CDT 2008

--- On Tue, 8/5/08, Daniel J. Givens <daniel at rugmonster.org> wrote:

> From: Daniel J. Givens <daniel at rugmonster.org>
> Subject: Re: [SATLUG] Live CD Solution/Open Source/Freeware
> To: satlug at satlug.org
> Date: Tuesday, August 5, 2008, 7:48 PM
> On Mon, 4 Aug 2008 07:44:26 -0700 (PDT)
> Don Jones <n5wsw at yahoo.com> wrote:
>
> > Good day, Gents & Ladies,
> >
> > Nice to be back on the list missed a lot of you.
> >
> > Hello to those that were in all my classes at SAC... I
> am now at
> > Texas State University, for a while.
> >
> > A small question for the group:
> >
> > Looking for a solution to stop a CD from running on a
> lock down stand
> > along workstation or one in use.
> >
> > Looking for Open Source or freeware if available.
> >
> > Basically need to necessitate a radical secure box to
> be left in an
> > open environment.
> >
> > Any suggestion or appreciated.
> >
> > Don Jones, N5WSW
> > A Student of Life!
> >
> > PS. for any OS, if anyone heard of something or know
> anyone I can
> > collaborate with.
>
> Disconnect the interface cable?
>
> Seriously, if it's running a *nix of some sort, you
> could disable the
> right to access and mount the drive. This is most commonly
> done by
> removing the users from the cdrom or disk group. If the
> system uses
> udev, then you can look at the permissions and group set
> for the device
> in /etc/udev.d/. All of this is going to be very specific
> to the
> OS/distro you're using.
>
> The most sure fire solution is to disable the optical drive
> by
> physically disconnecting it and USB ports via the a
> password protected
> BIOS.
> --

Daniel,

Thank you, for your feed--back.

I can't unplug the cable because, I'll have faculty and staff that will need to pull and place data remotely on this machine.

However, you have given me some excellent suggestions, and I'll share with the group any and all research I find.

Securing networks from becoming Zombie boxes.

Think it's kind of a law now. Yap!

Respectfully,

Don Jones, N5WSW
A Student of Life!