[SATLUG] Questions about basic security procedures

pixelnate at gmail.com pixelnate at gmail.com
Wed Aug 6 10:17:02 CDT 2008

I have some questions for some of you folks who are more involved in
security related fields about securing data on everyday pcs/laptops.
Assuming I want to start securing my data against having my laptop
stolen or people somehow getting into my network, where do I start?
Should I start with using GPG for email? How do I encrypt the data on my
hard drive so that nobody else can use/see it but me? Will encryption
slow down my computer? What measures should I be taking to guard against
data theft? Where can I find more information that can help?

As a creative professional, security is something that I haven't been
all that concerned with in the past. I would really appreciate some
pointers on where to start and where I can find out more.

FYI, I mostly use Ubuntu (Hardy) and Mac OSX if that helps.

THanks,

Nate