[SATLUG] investigating a UTSA install fest

Todd W. Bucy toddwbucy at grandecom.net
Wed Aug 6 11:06:58 CDT 2008

On Wed, 2008-08-06 at 10:49 -0500, Elliot Carte wrote:
> [...]
the reason being is that precisou few applications are optimized to run
on 64 bit.  One application that does stand out that is optimized to run
64 bit is blender.  So unless you are a heavy user of a optimized 64 bit
application you will see little benefit aver a 32 bit op system.  As far
as the 4 gig limit 32 bit systems cant map memory over 4 gigs so in this
case it is worth it. it is mainly about the availability of finding the
appropriate application.  for instance getting flash and java to work on
a 64 bit system can be a nightmare for a new user.  see the following
link for details:
http://www.mutaku.com/geeklog/article.php?story=20080116181440588

That said I believe the solution found on the ubuntu forum details how to fix it under a 64 and 32 bit system.
Its really not that much more difficult or different.

Todd