[SATLUG] investigating a UTSA install fest

Geoff geofff at w5omr.shacknet.nu
Wed Aug 6 14:22:00 CDT 2008

Elliot Carte wrote:
> Thanks so much for the tips. I'll read the ubuntu forums and SATLUG archives
> as suggested. As for staying away from 64 bit ubuntu... I dunno, man. I
> already have this new laptop with an AMD Turion X2 64bit processor. Why
> would I want to underutilize my hardware? Will 32 bit ubuntu even run on a
> 64 bit processor? Lastly, if it doesn't work I'd rather help figure out how
> to make it work (better) than to just give up and say "oh well, 32 bit is
> good enough"

64-bit cpu's will run 64-bit software, until it encounters its first bit
of 32-bit code.

I do believe, a I've been told, that the cpu will -not- automagically
jump back into the 64-bit mode, rather, drop down to 32-bit processing
when it encounters 32-bit code.  Not every bit of code in -any-
distribution- is purely 64-bit software.  Therefore, when your 64-bit
cpu encounters 32-bit code, then 32-bit it stays.

--
Regards,
-Geoff