[SATLUG] investigating a UTSA install fest

Al Castanoli afcasta at satx.rr.com
Wed Aug 6 16:18:46 CDT 2008

On Wed, 2008-08-06 at 14:08 -0500, Samuel Leon wrote:
> Elliot Carte wrote:
> > Would this event be open to (new) SATLUG members who are not affiliated with
> > UTSA?

> > Also, would any of you fine Linux enthusiasts be willing to help me figure
> > out why my new 64bit Hardy Herron (ubuntu) install doesn't like my built-in
> > wireless (stupid broadcom)? I've had trouble with broadcom cards before.
> > Would it kill them to suppy a Linux driver? Anyway, I'd be willing of course
> > to drive to... wherever (within Santonioland). I'd even buy the beer (or
> > coffee, whatever) if someone would help. It's in a new HP Pavilion lappy. I
> > love my new computer, but using the dozer (That's what I call windoze.) is
> > KILLing me, but I need wireless.

> > Lastly, can anyone tell me why in the world the last ubuntu release wasn't
> > called gnarly gnu?

> > Thanks all,
> > -elliot

> Elliot,

> You know with the price of beer and gas, you might actually save
> yourself money and time if you just buy an intel wireless card off of
> ebay for less $20 http://tiny.cc/yIBob
> I am going to be buying a laptop soon too and I will probably have to do
> the same, it sucks but you got to do what you got to do.

> Sam

I have a fairly new Dell laptop still under warranty, and got frustrated
with the broadcom wifi card, so I bought an Intel internal wifi card for
about $45 delivered from Dell, that doesn't void my warranty.  I know I
could have purchased one elsewhere for less, but didn't want to void the
warantee.  The Intel wifi card works great with Ubuntu, SUSE, and
Fedora.

Al Castanoli