[SATLUG] Ubuntu Auto Update Puzzle

ed horned0wl93 at gmail.com
Thu Aug 7 07:56:50 CDT 2008

Robert Pearson wrote:
> On Sun, Aug 3, 2008 at 9:12 PM, herb cee <hc at lookcee.com> wrote:
>
>> Don Wright wrote:

>>> Apt/dpkg as used in Debian and derivatives is pretty safe - the package
>>> information
>>> includes what other files and libraries need to be present, and which need
>>> to be absent.
>>> Unless all the requirements are met, the package will not be installed.
>>> For example, if
>>> the update to whizbang-3.14 needs libfoo-28.3, and only -28.2 is currently
>>> available, then
>>> the updater (aptitude, synaptic, apt-get, or another front end to dpkg)
>>> won't
>>> automatically install whizbang-3.14 and leave it broken.
>>>
>>> Similarly, if installing libfoo-28.3 will break your whizbang-3.9, the
>>> updater will make
>>> sure the newer whizbang is installed at the same time as libfoo, so
>>> everything continues
>>> to work. All this depends on the continuing efforts of the package
>>> maintainers, who test
>>> each new upstream release and keep the package info updated so all this
>>> magic works as
>>> advertised.
>>>
>>> Of course there can be a few glitches. I was installing a server and found
>>> a particular
>>> package brought in the whole X windowing system, including a bunch of
>>> fonts. Turns out one
>>> of the packages had an optional GUI tool to manage its settings, and the
>>> GUI tool depended
>>> on having the whole GUI mess. Took a little hunting to find where to cut,
>>> but the package
>>> count is a lot lighter now.
>>>

>> Thanks. I do feel the awe of standing in great shadows every few days as I
>> am notified of offered updates. ... Thinking to meself ... Why I cannot be
>> so efficient? Why does my little world stay all messy? Why does clutter just
>> clutter no mater what? When did I clean the case fans?
>>

>>> Mostly I'd trust the updater.  --Don
>>>

>> Sure a grand record to do so.
>>

>>> (You do have good backups, right?)
>>>

>> Gulp, weeeellll ... herb looks over shoulder at the checkered shadow of his
>> chin nodding .... "You Bet!"
>>
>> Thanks I guess a server is down somewhere since those 2 updates still
>> refuse. All giggles aside the team totally deserves deep praise. It just
>> works!
>> herb
>>
>> --
>>

> A server down could be the case.
> I have run into a new error since I have been using the Synaptic
> Package Manager (SPM).
> Which I know is just a fancy GUI front-end for apt.
> The new error is "broken" packages.
> In the old pre-openSUSE, or Red Hat, days you had to dig around in the
> file system to find where all the
> package files were kept and find the ones that were "broken" and delete them.
> Then the patches or updates would install. Same thing for broken
> packages in SPM.
> [...]
I've discovered that if you go into the Synaptic Package Manager, click
Settings/Repositories, that you can change your download site to almost
anywhere in the world.  I've had trouble with both the "Main," and "U.S"
sites in the past (receiving similar errors to Herb's), so, I either
select a U.K site, or let Ubuntu select the best site it can reach.
Once done, your Update Manager will follow your cue, and download from
the site you've selected.

Cheers!
Ed