[SATLUG] Looking for new system

ed horned0wl93 at gmail.com
Thu Aug 7 17:04:21 CDT 2008

Bruce Dubbs wrote:
> Note: I'm starting a new thread.
>
> ed wrote:
>
> > I'm looking at buying a new (or refurb'd) machine in the very near
> > future to replace my crashed Windoze media (music and video) server
> (I'm
> > all Linux at home now...).  I've seen some good-to-great price
> offerings
> > on both Intel Xeon and AMD Phenom systems, but I'm curious and a little
> > bit concerned over the problems I'm hearing about Ubuntu and 64bit
> > architecture.  Several questions come to mind as I get ready for my
> > purchase(s). Can y'all help?
> >
> > 1. An AMD feind since the brand came out, I'm wondering: which CPU
> setup
> > would y'all actually recommend as best suited to Ubuntu versions 7.04 -
> > 8.04 in a 64bit environment?
> >
> > 2. What are the issues with 64bit systems and the apparent need for
> 4+GB
> > of RAM?  Can It load as a 32bit OS on a muti-core machine?  If so, what
> > would I lose if I did it that way?  How much RAM would I need then?
> >
> > 3. For this machine, I'm not overly concerned about wireless
> networking,
> > as it'll be directly wire-connected to my router.  However, I'd like to
> > know if the system, under Ubuntu, might be multi-homed, and run more
> > than one NIC with more than one usable IP address (true server
> fashion)?
> >
> > 4. Which video card(s) would you recommend, with how much RAM on board,
> > to handle this monster and permit the full use of Emerald and/or
> > Compiz-Beryl?
>
> I'm a bit confused by your requirements.  You say that you want a
> media server and then talk about video cards.  Is it a server or a
> workstation?
Actually, I want it to be a bit of both -- primarily to serve media
where/as necessary across my network, but to also serve as a kick-*ss
multi-functional workstation. If not for Windoze and a 32bit
environment, per se, I had the best of both of those worlds for several
years with my previous server, as a part of my combined home theater.
It did it all - acquisition, storage, presentation and network server.

That's why the questions about video cards, multi-homing NICs and the
like, and the reason for all the other questions.

I'm looking for the punch of a gamer's machine, but with the storage and
distribution capacity of a server.  That's asking lots, I know, but I've
done it before in that other environment, and would like to do it again
with Linux in a 64bit environment.

Thanks for the tips, tho...  Reading... :-)

Cheers!
Ed