[SATLUG] Ubuntu and 64bit Systems (swiped from UTSA)

Todd W. Bucy toddwbucy at grandecom.net
Thu Aug 7 22:48:50 CDT 2008

On Thu, 2008-08-07 at 14:53 -0500, ed wrote:
> Hi Folks...
> > [Snip]

> I'm looking at buying a new (or refurb'd) machine in the very near
> future to replace my crashed Windoze media (music and video) server (I'm
> all Linux at home now...).  I've seen some good-to-great price offerings
> on both Intel Xeon and AMD Phenom systems, but I'm curious and a little
> bit concerned over the problems I'm hearing about Ubuntu and 64bit
> architecture.  Several questions come to mind as I get ready for my
> purchase(s). Can y'all help?
>
> 1. An AMD feind since the brand came out, I'm wondering: which CPU setup
> would y'all actually recommend as best suited to Ubuntu versions 7.04 -
> 8.04 in a 64bit environment?
depends on what you are going to do with your machine.  IF you are
building a blender box with 4 or more gigs of ram I would recomend using
the ubuntustudio version.  Although the RT kernel seems (to me at least)
to be a little flacky on the nvidia chipset so go with an Intel or AMD
chipset if you build a blender box. preferably a ati crossfire as it
will allow you more then one video card
If you are building an everyday home server then i would stay with the
32 bit and go with the cheapest sata2 board and chip I could find.

> 2. What are the issues with 64bit systems and the apparent need for 4+GB
> of RAM?  Can It load as a 32bit OS on a muti-core machine?  If so, what
> would I lose if I did it that way?  How much RAM would I need then?

64 bit will run on < 1 gig of mem to (I think) 16 gig. 32 bit can only
handel < 4 gigs because the math will not allow it to map memory greater
then that
> 3. For this machine, I'm not overly concerned about wireless networking,
> as it'll be directly wire-connected to my router.  However, I'd like to
> know if the system, under Ubuntu, might be multi-homed, and run more
> than one NIC with more than one usable IP address (true server fashion)?

get the server edition of ubuntu
> 4. Which video card(s) would you recommend, with how much RAM on board,
> to handle this monster and permit the full use of Emerald and/or
> Compiz-Beryl?

if you just want to run compiz you can do that with a nvidia 7800 no
prob; cube, rain, fire writting on the screen all the flash and sparkle
you can handle.  If you want to use blender they go for it.  The more 3d
power you have the better as it will help reandering times
> Nuff questions for one day?  I hope...   Any help here would be greatly
> appreciated.

please more detail about what you are trying to do with this machine. it
will be much easier to help you out.

Todd