[SATLUG] OT: Letter from my senator.

Brian astro at astr0.org
Fri Aug 8 10:58:45 CDT 2008

Sounds like a canned answer
Sent via BlackBerry from T-Mobile

-----Original Message-----
From: "Todd W. Bucy" <toddwbucy at grandecom.net>

Date: Fri, 08 Aug 2008 10:12:47
Subject: [SATLUG] OT: Letter from my senator.

I recently read an article on EFF's website
( http://www.eff.org/issues/acta ) about a new anti-counterfitting
treaty between the US, EU, Japan and Switzerland.  Not a real fan of
amny of these treties so I took the time to let Senator Cornyn (you know
Big Bad John http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tt05KC3Add8 )know that I
wanted him to vote against this particular treaty.  I would like to post
the email so that those SATLUG members living in Texas might know of
their senators official stance on piracy, privacy and your civil
rights.

Todd
eamil as follows:

Dear Mr. Bucy:

Thank you for contacting me regarding global efforts to fight
intellectual property theft. I appreciate having the benefit of your
comments on this matter.

Rapid advances in technology have led to the development of many
products and services Americans use everyday, including digital
television and radio, cellular communications, life-saving medications,
and computer hardware and software. Continued technological advancement
is vital to the growth of our country's economy, and as such lawmakers
must continue to protect intellectual property rights while maintaining
an open market for ideas and personal expression. However, in today’s
global marketplace, U.S. law enforcement officials are often hamstrung
when trying to combat intellectual property infringements that originate
abroad. Many developing nations with lax technology policies and limited
enforcement mechanisms are responsible for billions of dollars in
intellectual property infringement that harms U.S. technology developers
and manufacturers. However, violators are not limited to developing
countries; several fully developed nations have outdated policies that
do not reflect the reality of today’s global marketplace.

For these reasons, the office of the U.S. Trade Representative (USTR)
has commenced a multilateral discussion concerning global intellectual
property rights, known as the Anti-Counterfeiting Trade Agreement
(ACTA). I strongly support intellectual property rights, and I look
forward to reviewing the recommendations of USTR in this regard. The
United States is a leader in innovation, and to protect the investment
made by our innovators, we must also lead the effort to combat global
piracy. While the USTR is the lead trade negotiator on behalf of the
executive branch of government, any change in international trade policy
must be enacted by Congress before entering into effect. I understand
your concerns, and you may be certain that I will keep your views in
mind should relevant legislation come before the full Senate.

I appreciate having the opportunity to represent you in the United
States Senate. Thank you for taking the time to contact me.

Sincerely,

JOHN CORNYN
United States Senator

517 Hart Senate Office Building
Washington, DC 20510
Tel: (202) 224-2934
Fax: (202) 228-2856
http://www.cornyn.senate.gov

Please sign up for my monthly newsletter at
http://www.cornyn.senate.gov/newsletter.

PLEASE NOTE:
Due to the nature of electronic communication, if you did not receive
this e-mail directly from my office, I cannot guarantee that the text
has not been altered. If you have questions about the validity of this
message, or would like to respond to this message, please use the web
form available at my website, http://www.cornyn.senate.gov/contact.