[SATLUG] Re: Puppy Linux Fan

Robert Pearson e2eiod at gmail.com
Sun Aug 10 01:08:44 CDT 2008

On Sat, Aug 9, 2008 at 11:56 PM, Dennis Myhand <dmyhand at suddenlink.net> wrote:
> Jim Wells wrote:
>>
>> On Sun, Aug 10, 2008 at 11:46 AM, Dennis Myhand <dmyhand at suddenlink.net>
>> wrote:
>>>
>>> Do any of you guys know a simple way to install puppy onto a hard drive?
>>>  Whenever I try, in accordance with the instructions, it fails at the
>>> partitioning.  Thanks, Dennis
>>> --
>>
>> Dennis,
>>
>> 1. ) Are you doing a frugal install or a FULL install?
>> 2. ) Exactly how is it failing at the partitioning?
>> 3. ) Have you tried partitioning it with the gparted that's in Puppy
>> or did you use the Gparted Live CD or another live CD?
>>
>> Jim
>
> 1.  I have tried both.
>
> 2.  It throws up an error message saying it cannot proceed after about three
> minutes.
>
> 3.  All of the above.
> --

It has been a long time since I have had that error message.
When I did have that error nothing would work but to "low-level"
format the disk. Then it would work.
The only way to "low-level" format these days is with the manufacturers tools.
I suspect the cause is some trace partition information left on the
disk that the Puppy partitioner can't handle.
Some times I have simply formatted the entire disk with some other OS,
like WIndows, and then killed the install.
This does not always work. The manufacturers "low-level" format have
always worked.
This is what worked for me with my limited technical insight.

Robert