[SATLUG] What do you know about Acer Laptops?

ed horned0wl93 at gmail.com
Sun Aug 10 18:34:12 CDT 2008

David Kowis wrote:
> There's a real cheap one (<$400 after rebates) at office despot.
> However, I don't know really anything about them. How do they hold up?
> Would they stand being put through the punishment of a from-source
> distro? Stuff works in linux?
>
> Just looking for more info before I go and make the purchase :)
>
> Thanks in advance :)
>
> (Cross-posted to get the most feedback :D )
I've been running Ubuntu Linux since 2006 (6.10) on an Acer 3050 Aspire
(Purchase price: $500.00 from Overstock.com) with an AMD 1.8GHz chip and
2.5GB RAM.  Video does fine under fglrx (shares 32MB), and wireless
works well by wrapping the Broadcom driver.  My lappy has taken
tremendous abuse, and come back repeatedly for more.  If you attended
either of the LOCC Computer Shows in June or July, you've seen it...

Cheers!
Ed