[SATLUG] Re: [XCSSA] What do you know about Acer Laptops?

Tweeks tweeksjunk2 at theweeks.org
Sun Aug 10 21:28:45 CDT 2008

On Sunday 10 August 2008 06:12:13 pm X-otic Computer Systems of San Antonio
wrote:
> There's a real cheap one (<$400 after rebates) at office despot.
> However, I don't know really anything about them. How do they hold up?

Looks similar to the Linux-OEM Acer that I bought from Linux Certified:
	http://www.linuxcertified.com/linux-laptop-lc2100s.html

I like the smaller, 12" wxga form factor laptops... but the LC version of the
one I think you're looking at is here.. the LC2210S for $699:
	http://www.linuxcertified.com/linux-notebook-lc2210s.html

> Would they stand being put through the punishment of a from-source
> distro?

It would be a great burn in for it.. hehe.. Although I don't know if Windows
laptops are ever pushed to that limit (thermally).. heh..

> Stuff works in linux?

Most of Acer's stock hardware works ok with Linux.. But the reasons that I
went through LC are because:
-they preload with your choice of:
	Ubuntu 8.04
	Fedora 9
	Open SUSE 10.3
-swap out stock hardware  (the micro PCI wifi card) with more open source
friendly versions (Intel PRO/Wireless 3945ABG)
-able to customize proc, RAM, HD, and DVD burner to my liking
-No M$ tax(!)

In the end, I paid a bit more... but I got the customized hardware that I
wanted, pre loaded with Ubuntu, + one year of email support, plus no M$ tax.

Money talks.
Don't support those who won't support you.

Tweeks