[SATLUG] Re: [XCSSA] What do you know about Acer Laptops?

David Kowis dkowis at shlrm.org
Sun Aug 10 21:40:54 CDT 2008

Tweeks wrote:
| On Sunday 10 August 2008 06:12:13 pm X-otic Computer Systems of San
Antonio
| wrote:
|> There's a real cheap one (<$400 after rebates) at office despot.
|> However, I don't know really anything about them. How do they hold up?
|
| Looks similar to the Linux-OEM Acer that I bought from Linux Certified:
| 	http://www.linuxcertified.com/linux-laptop-lc2100s.html
|
| I like the smaller, 12" wxga form factor laptops... but the LC version
of the
| one I think you're looking at is here.. the LC2210S for $699:
| 	http://www.linuxcertified.com/linux-notebook-lc2210s.html

I need teh cheep. And the size isn't much of an issue. Battery life
might be, but not really. Its for my wife, and she mostly uses it at
home, plugged in. Just likes being able to put it in her lap while she
watches TV. (I don't have enough bandwidth to watch TV and fiddle with
the computer at the same time, but I do like 17 things on the computer)

|> Would they stand being put through the punishment of a from-source
|> distro?
|
| It would be a great burn in for it.. hehe.. Although I don't know if
Windows
| laptops are ever pushed to that limit (thermally).. heh..
I can get around this issue with things like distcc. offload the
compilation to my non-thermally-challenged desktop and server PC.

|> Stuff works in linux?
|
| Most of Acer's stock hardware works ok with Linux.. But the reasons
that I
| went through LC are because:
| -they preload with your choice of:
| 	Ubuntu 8.04
| 	Fedora 9
| 	Open SUSE 10.3

Meh, I wouldn't be caught dead using any of those ;P

| -swap out stock hardware  (the micro PCI wifi card) with more open source
| friendly versions (Intel PRO/Wireless 3945ABG)
I'd like this, but I'm not sure it's worth an additional $300. It may be
cheaper for me to just buy another MicroPCI wifi card off the interblags.

| -able to customize proc, RAM, HD, and DVD burner to my liking
Not really an issue here. What's on it is good enough. And its easy to
swap RAM and HD.

| -No M$ tax(!)
Theoretically, I should be able to call acer and get that money back.
Revoke the license and all that. It works with dell. But, in this case.
It appears that I'd be paying a linux tax, as it'd cost me $300 more to
get a similar laptop. Just noticing...

| In the end, I paid a bit more... but I got the customized hardware that I
| wanted, pre loaded with Ubuntu, + one year of email support, plus no
M$ tax.

This just needs to work. Cheap > fancy in this case. I think it's a
broadcom one in the acer in the store. I should bring in a live cd and
boot it to see what it's got on it ;)
I bet that'd freak out the office depot guys. Get an lspci onto a
thumbdrive and then take it home and verify interoperability of the
stuff. I think that's what I'm gonna do.

| Money talks.
| Don't support those who won't support you.

True, but I can only say so much with the money I've got. If I don't
have $600, I don't have $600.

Had I lots more money, I'd glady buy the more expensive linuxy ones.

- --
David Kowis

www.ronpaul2008.com - Ron Paul for President!
www.sourcemage.org  - SourceMage GNU/Linux