[SATLUG] Looking for new system

ed horned0wl93 at gmail.com
Mon Aug 11 04:13:45 CDT 2008

Todd W. Bucy wrote:
>> I'm looking for the punch of a gamer's machine, but with the storage and
>> distribution capacity of a server.  That's asking lots, I know, but I've
>> done it before in that other environment, and would like to do it again
>> with Linux in a 64bit environment.
>>

> I built a similar machine and learned quite abit about the process.
>
> My set up:
> asus p5n-e sli
> intel q6600
> gemini II heat sink
> nvidia 9800gtx
> 4 x 320 gig samgsun set up as raid5
> 4 gig ocz sli matched pair at 800 mhz
> antec 9 ninehundred
> ultra 800 watt power supply
>

> Regrets
> - should have gone with an crossfire board. Nvidia only supports sli in
> linux up to 8 bit. Crossfire supports 16 bit in linux
> - mobo is overclockable in windoze but overclocking in linux with this
> board makes her very unstable
> -
>
> love:
> the case - If you are going to be running 4 or more hd and at least 1
> highend video card then you will love this box.  200 mm fan on top
> sucking out the heat, 2 90 mm sucking cool air aver the hard drives, 1
> 90 blowing cool air on your video cards and 2 90 mm sucking air out the
> back and 2 90mm on my gemini 2 heat sink.  That said Antec came out with
> the 1200 which is a server size also comes with washable filters for the
> fans. Something I has to rig up for my 900.
> the power sink: the gemeni 2 is a big mutha of a sink but it keeps my
> cpu cool as ice when overclocking my wintendo.
>
> advice:
> if you are going to run more then 2 video cards then get a powersuply
> that is 750 watt or better.  This is especially true if you have 4 or
> more dirves. If you are concered about going as green as possible
> consider waiting for the new nvidia 200 series. check the list I posted
> an article about the card last week for more detail.
> I really love my case and am a big fan of antec so I can not recomend
> the antec 1200 enough.
>
> Todd

I think, after chatting with a few other techs as well, that I'm more
tempted to go with an AMD Phenom combo.  Prospective combination below:

GIGABYTE GA-MA78GM-S2H AMD 780G AMD Phenom Socket AM2+ 5200 MHz PC2-8500
(DDR2-1066) mATX
AMD Athlon 64 X2 5000+ Brisbane Dual Core Processor 2.6Ghz Socket AM2
1MB Cache
PATRIOT PVS24G6400LLK 4GB PC2-6400 (DDR2-800) DDR2 Memory

Q?  What might argue against such a combo?
Q?  Has anyone had any experience/problems with any of these
components?  In a Linux environment?
Q?  I'd have the ability to put up to 16GB RAM on this board.  How much
RAM can Ubuntu handle?
Q?  What video card would y'all recommend with this combo?
Q?  Would a separate sound card be in order, or would on-board sound
suffice?
Q?  What Video Capture/Display-to-TV card would work in this scenario?

Definitely full of questions, aren't I..?

Cheers;
Ed