[SATLUG] Sponsor Tweeks on the October 4-5th MS-150 Charity Bike-o-thon & Track him via GPS/APRS :)

Geoff geofff at w5omr.shacknet.nu
Mon Aug 11 10:30:02 CDT 2008

Tweeks wrote:
> For those interested in sponsoring a local rider in the 2 day, 150 mile bike
> trip from SA to Corpus (for a cure for Multiple Sclerosis), hit my MS-150
> donation page here:
> 	http://main.nationalmssociety.org/goto/tweeks
>
> Thanks!
>
> Tweeks
> p.s. To keep this on topic.. I'll have an embedded microcontroller system with
> me taking GPS readings and relaying it (via HAM radio) to an APRS/google-maps
> real time map.

Gotta love them hams, and the packet network.  Digital communications
via ham radio.

Using JNOS back around 1990 (J for the initial of the guy that wrote it,
NOS for 'Net work Operating System, a precursor, I think, for Linux) I
was using tcp/ip via packet radio.  Connecting to a radio that had a
gateway to the internet (back when home internet access was still $30/mo
or better).

Still have those ip addresses, but haven't found a (easy) way of
bridging between the 44.xx.xx.xx network and the outside internet world.

-Geoff/W5OMR

As an aside to Jim Wells;
what is the latest on the 'SATLUG-HAM' list, for those so interested?