[SATLUG] Cheap upgrade

Geoff geofff at w5omr.shacknet.nu
Mon Aug 11 18:26:38 CDT 2008

Well, I did find out that the Compaq Professional Workstation AP550
(that I'm using as my Linux server) will accept up to 1GHz Coppermine
CPUs.  With the help of another list member, I was able to secure a pair
of aforementioned CPU's.  We're just waiting for them to be delivered
before they can be installed.

What an upgrade, eh?  From a single 733MHz cpu to go to a pair of 1GHz
cpus!

~*WOW!*~

...~whew~... uhm.. hmm. wait a second... I'm thinking here...  (don't
let the smoke from the wheels scare you!)

Ok.  here goes.

I believe that upgrading the processing horsepower of the system without
upgrading the ram, is like shoe-horning in a 402, long-stroke, big-bore
engine in place of a straight 6 250cui engine and not upgrade the
transmission.

SOMEONE out there has some Rambus Ram, to work in this machine.

I have (3) 64meg sticks, (6) 128meg sticks (4 currently in use, 1 more
good and 1 bad) and (2) 256meg sticks.

For whatever reason, this system will not allow the mixing of a pair of
256meg sticks of ram with a pair of 128meg sticks of ram.  Also, I can
not mix the 64meg ram with the 128meg ram.

So, I'm back... looking for someone to trade me... You can have -all- of
the rambus ram I have, in trade for as much rambus ram I can get.

Surely -someone- out there still has some old rambus ram that they don't
want/need any more.

Thanks for your consideration.

-Geoff