[SATLUG] question of the measurement of processing power past and present

Todd W. Bucy toddwbucy at grandecom.net
Tue Aug 12 13:32:38 CDT 2008

On Tue, 2008-08-12 at 11:40 -0500, Bruce Dubbs wrote:
> Todd W. Bucy wrote:
> > I am still hacking away at this paper.  The paper looks at F/OSS in
> > terms of a gift economy.
>
> Perhaps you need to look at F/OSS in an alternative way.  I suggest comparing it
> with the idea of academic research and academic freedom.  In other words, the
> quest for knowledge and the desire to share it.  In this case, the desire is not
> as much a "gift economy" as the desire to share ideas and, in return, the
> ability to use other ideas without restriction.

This is an angle that I have considered, the only problem is that
academic research often takes the form of a gift economy.  If you
consider that the product (research and knoledge) is given and shared
within the larger academic community without direct compensation
expected or given.  This is true if you consider that most professional
academic journals do not compensate their authors for articles but
slightly less true if you consider that universities compensate most
(but not all) researchers within the academic community.  Furthermore, I
wouldn't say that the desire of F/OSS is to create an gift-economy,
rather the gift economy is the economic form F/OSS has taken and is due
to the socio-economic environmental conditions in which it developed.
As it concerns gift-economies vs a market or comodity economies the
whole idea of sharing or giving without direct and/or pre-agreed upon
compensation is the whole point of a gift-economy.  this is definately
not true of market or comodity economies.

Todd